The Pharwala Fort is situated 40km from the city of Rawalpindi in the province of Punjab, Pakistan. It was once the capital of the Gakhar Estate. The fort was built in the 15th century on the ruins of an old Hindu fort. The site of Pharwala Fort was chosen wisely as a small Himalayan range stood guard on one side and the River Soan defended it from the other making it difficult to attack and capture.
Gakhars were the rulers of Northern Punjab and some areas of Eastern Punjab were also under their control. When the first Moghul Emperor Babar invaded India, he attacked the fort but was repelled by the strong Gakhar army; his second attack was successful and the fort was conquered. After reconciliations however, the fort was handed over to the Gakhars who remained the loyal friends of the Moghuls. In 1825, the Pharwala Fort was captured by the Sikhs.
At present the fort is in a dilapidated condition. The apathy of governments past and present has resulted in the deterioration of many landmarks. It is up to us citizens now to save these historic buildings. Located in Kahuta district, Pharwala Fort can only be visited by Pakistani citizens.